Monday, May 9, 2016

OMG I'm Going to Be 30

In celebration of Mother's Day, let us take a quick Hollywood glimpse at the mother I'm pretty sure I'm going to be:



Also, speaking of mothers and adulthood, the realization that by the end of this year, I will no longer be in my twenties has been hitting me pretty hard lately, mostly because of work stuff but because of some seriously adult decisions I've been having to make in my personal life, too.  

I love, love, love my job, but being an agent who earns the industry-standard commission and doesn't rip people off  means that I have to work other jobs to support my job.  Which, you know, is a lot of jobs.  After a bit of a flip flop from my original plan, I stopped assisting Emily at the end of last year and decided to ramp up my hours at the restaurant during their night shifts.  

I feel like answering phones is kind of an in-your-twenties secondary job, though.  Probably because of the hourly pay.  The idea of doing that until I land my first million dollar deal is daunting now that I'm a person who has ELEVEN white hairs and strange cravings to kiss other people's babies and pretend they're mine.

So what to do?  Turn to the most in-your-twenties anthem I know...and maybe go back to school for my Master's...


7 comments:

  1. Melissa AlexanderMay 9, 2016 at 11:14 AM

    The 30s are easier and more fun than the 20s. I know it doesn't look like it from your side of the fence, but trust me. I'm not sure I've met anyone who didn't agree.

    Hope you find something solid to pay the bills. I appreciate the sacrifices to stick to agenting. I also appreciate how difficult that life is these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooooo love Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" and I'm in my (gasp!) 40s! Not that this could possibly have made you feel any better... ;-)

    I found my way in my 30s. Those years were sooooo much better than my 20s. The best years of your life are up ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but I laughed at this post, simply in solidarity, mind you. And you might not think this, but your 40s are even better than your 20s and 30s! I mean it. Keep doing good work and goodness will follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if it's different for guys or not, but most of my big "Age Transitions" haven't bothered me a whole lot. On the other hand, I have a friend who got really depressed when he approached 25. I'm still not sure why.

    Just remember, that turning 30 (or 40, or 50) doesn't mean someone's going to flip a switch and make you instantly old. In a lot of ways, I don't feel a whole lot different than I did in my 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, TY for early morning laughs brought on by the movie trailer and Shake It Off. Much needed. Second, please ignore birthdays with zeroes. You are remarkably good at what you do and are respected and appreciated -- so hang in there and stop counting gray hairs! (I have learned that this publishing business is mostly about perseverance,right?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny! You make my day :) Tahank you!

    ReplyDelete