Monday, December 7, 2015

Happy (Belated) Pub Day!

Happy pub day to Nicole!  Because of Thanksgiving and wedding malarkey, I forgot to send her the interview questions in time for her December 1 release, so this is a little behind the times.  But as is tradition, here is her interview about writing and GIRLS WHO TRAVEL!


Tell us a little bit about yourself!
I am an American ex-pat living in London, and more often than not, you can find me writing, reading, or drinking red wine and daydreaming about where to go next. I’ve been obsessed with travel for as long as I can remember, so it was a natural theme for a fiction book.

How did you end up writing GIRLS WHO TRAVEL?
I wanted to write something uplifting and fun—a beach read, but also something with a bit of resonance and inspiration; something that would make you want to go out there and live! Girls Who Travel was born out of those sentiments. I wanted to write a book for all the other girls like me with their heads in the clouds and big beautiful adventures on their Pinterest boards.

How has its genre changed along the way and what has that meant to the book and to you?
I always intended on writing a chick lit book even though chick lit has been fighting off a bad rap for a while. That said, I do think the genre is at a place where it's finally more respected. 

So far it's been kind of a magical ride.  You signed with Jackie Cantor at Berkley and have been getting pretty fantastic reviews for the book from bloggers and from places like RT.  Tell us what that has been like!
At the risk of coming off like an uncool fangirl: it’s been freakin’ amazing! I couldn’t ask for a better editor or more finely tuned publishing house. I hope I get to work with them again in the future.

What else are you working on?  Anything next for Kika?
I’m half-way through another travel-centric romcom set in the Alps. 

Any advice for writers you'd like to share?
It took me many years and many books to get to this day. Don’t compare your journey to anyone else's. You do you.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the book--and if you do, let me know how you enjoy the read!  I always love hearing peoples' reactions to projects I work on!  

We're keeping it very Q&A at Literary Carrie right now, because next week I am finally going to post the interview with Kirsten I've been promising (and wedding photos)!!!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Nicole! Going to check out your book right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sitting on my desk right now, waiting to be read! Once I'm done with edits I'm diving in. The cover is unbelievably gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool, thanks! I LOVE the cover too--they did such a good job with it.

      Delete