Monday, July 6, 2015

New Client and New (Whale) Child

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July weekend!  I very happy to be able to announce a new client, Marlo Mack, whose fantastic blog and podcast are definitely things you should check out.  I reached out to her after reading an article about her daughter in People and then checking out her incredibly well-written blog, and am pumped to start work with her on her memoir proposal!!!!


I know I'm the last one to the party, but over the weekend, instead of fireworks and hot dogs, John and I watched Blackfish, the 2013 documentary about SeaWorld killer whale Tilikum, and it left me feeling both sad and galvanized.  One of the former trainers has written a book that published this year that talks about his time there and his advocacy for orcas.  After a lot of internet research, I found that you can also adopt a whale or shop in support of Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC) for only fifty dollars, so I am going to be a whale mama!  I'm not sure if John had me watch this because we have plans to go to the New York Aquarium this week, but after looking their website, it doesn't seem like they have any cetaceans (whales, dolphins, etc.), so I think we can travel down to Coney Island guilt-free.

7 comments:

  1. what an amazing client!! I read that article just last month on People. huge congrats to both of you! and yay for the whale! I've been doing a ton of research on nature centers and environmental preserve type places for my WIP which has a scene with a benefit for sea turtles...I plan to adopt a sea turtle from the place I'm writing about when I'm done! when I was little my parents adopted sea lions for me and my brother. I still remember their names: Ariel and Pilgrim lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beth Ellyn, I saw this comment. I've spent a good chunk of my working life in nature/environmental centers, so if you have any questions, I might be able to help you. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

      Delete
    2. that's so awesome, thank you, Jeff!! :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the family, Marlo! Blackfish is definitely an eye-opener, a very sad story in many ways. Orcas are pretty amazing creatures. I recall the NY Aquarium used to have at least one beluga, but perhaps they've gotten out of that side of the business, it's been a loooooong time since I've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome for the new client! That's always exciting. I'll have to check out her podcast.

    I feel so bad for the killer whales :( There's been so many reports lately about what their life span is in the wild, and how it's only a fraction of what they have when they are in captivity. I'll put Blackfish on my to watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just checked out Marlo's blog - I was pulled right in to her experience. Her memoir will be important and insightful. Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and Marlo. Stories (and memoirs) are the best way to get the message out.

    ReplyDelete