Monday, April 27, 2015

IP Projects Are Great!

Recently, I've been introduced to a lot of great IP opportunities for my authors.  For those of you don't know, IP projects are ones where the idea is generated in-house by the publisher.  Basically what happens is the editor will give you an outline of the story, and then the author has to write out a few pages to see if they will be a match for the project.

Three different IP projects have come my way lately for YA and MG novels.  I thought they would be great fits for several of my authors, so now they are all busy writing samples!  I don't want to give away too much in this post, but these story ideas are INCREDIBLE.  I'm already in love with them from their outlines, and I know they really excited my authors, too.

This is my first real foray into doing something like this.  One of Emily's authors has a work-for-hire contract with Soho, so I'm familiar with the concept and basics of IP work, but I'm not sure what the steps between turning in the sample pages and seeing the first draft of the contract.  The big "for instance" in this situation is I'm not sure if some of my authors will move to a next step and then have to write all or most of the manuscript, or if a contract will be offered based on the sample pages.  I'm guessing more writing will be involved, but I'll let you know as I know!

I really hope that at least one of my authors lands one of the work-for-hires...it would be amazing if I could get authors doing all three!!  They really are fantastic stories and I think they would be amazing chances for my authors to build their careers!!

 
Both Alloy projects!

P.S.  I have my first romance client!  Over the weekend, I signed the amazing Shana Figueroa and am sending out her erotic, Veronica Mars-esque noir today!!!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Shana! Funny, I see "IP" and I'm thinking "Internet Protocol," so I was wondering how the heck this thing worked. Sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Shana! And fingers crossed for everyones' IP sample pages!

    ReplyDelete