Sunday, February 15, 2015

I've Changed My Mind (Just in Time to Semi-Coincide With Valentine's Day)

I am pushing aside anxieties (and vague annoyances) on the yet-to-be-landed deals that I am waiting to hear back about to announce something fun instead.  I think this has been in the works for awhile now and I just haven't realized it, but having Emily as my mentor, and going to RWA this past summer made me realize something...
I do want to represent romance!





This really hit me over the head when an author that I was interested (who wrote romance) asked me why I was requesting her book when she had discovered in a very quick amount of time that I state that I am not interesting in representing it.

In the past, I stated that it wasn't a genre that I wanted, mainly because when I thought of romance I thought of formulaic, downmarket romances that had Fabio on the cover.  Now, having been around romance authors and novels a bit more, I've discovered that there are plenty of smart stories that I really enjoy.  After subconsciously letting all these realizations simmer, I now know that I favor novels about strong heroines (I DO NOT want to read about naive wallflowers who meet confident, dominant men and are swept off their feet) and that also have plots that aren't purely romance-driven but have a story line involving transformation for the main character outside of her relationship.

Not to mention that the romance industry is a thriving, ever-growing one with prolific authors and dedicated readers...definitely a great environment to be a part of!  Our newest agent, Linda Camacho, is also interested in acquiring romance, and she and I had an interesting conversation about it the last night.  I will be posting an interview with her soon so that you can all get to know the newest member of Prospect Agency :)

So yeah, romance authors: send your manuscripts my way.  I'm officially looking to build my list!

9 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, I don't read romance, so I don't know all the conventions of the genre, but it sounds like you want romance, but not Romance, if you see what I mean. My impression without reading (and absolutely correct me if I'm wrong) is that in Romance, the genre, the romance is pretty much the point. It seems you're looking for something where the romance is part of something greater, an important part of the story, but not the whole point.

    I think you're busting genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I have to admit, it took me a minute to distinguish Romance from romance (I guess my brain doesn't process capital letters?) but yes, I guess I am busting genres a little bit! I do still want stories where the romance is central, but I don't want that to be all there is.

      Delete
  2. Yay!! I think it's wonderful that you're going to accept romance now! I've read and really enjoyed romance writers like Sonali Dev and Mingmei Yip, who are well-known at RWA and RT, but write books that fit other genres like literary fiction. Maybe some of your writers will even cross into that genre, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so interesting, I only just learned recently that having a romantic element vital to the plot and growth of the character makes it romance, and I kind of freaked a bit. I never thought I'd write romance, since I believed what you said, that romance = Fabio, shirtless with windblown hair. lol. But yay, I think it's awesome you're open to it now and I also love how far the genre has come since Fabio days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, i agree with Jeff, this is a description of romance novels that sit on the edge of the basic genre, and has typically been called "mainstream with romantic elements," or "women's fiction." That being said, it's a bang on description of my novel, and so once I finish making it wonderful, I'll be sure to query you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am soooo excited to hear you say this! I've been looking for an agent that was interested in stories with a romantic edge that is part of a larger plot. I'll be sure to query!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I know like nothing about romance novels—but I'm trying to read more of it. Though don't expect a romance MS from me anytime soon :)

    But I'll spread the word!

    ReplyDelete