Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Reading

I've been talking to a few of my authors who are summer submission-ready and also to Emily (our agency president) about my fear of submitting during the summer, and have decided that for my clients who are ready to send out June-August, I will do a smaller submission pool of editors who I think are really strong potential fits and if all of those editors end up taking a long time to get back to me, do another larger submission round in September while still waiting to hear back from the summer people.





I know this is relieving some of my authors, who didn't like the idea of waiting until the fall, and is also the right choice to make.  Emily didn't think that there was a really good reason for me to suspend submissions in the summer (the winter holidays are another matter!) since she sold one of her star client's books then last year.  I feel like I've just had bad luck in summers past...my sales have been pretty good so far this year, so maybe the June-August curse won't be a problem this year!

One of the authors who will be a curse-breaking guinea pig is Bridget Baker, author of fantastic YA dystopian novel MARKED.  Since "dystoptian" is kind of a nonstarter word for editors at larger houses nowadays, we are trying smaller sci-fi presses and will see what happens!  I got to meet up with her and her brother-in-law this past week for dinner in the city, and it was so great to be able to talk to her about our plans for her novel in person!  Now I'm submitting her project and three others, and also trying to figure out how to handle some other agenty issues...but more on that next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'd better get cracking--good luck with the subs!

    ReplyDelete