Monday, April 28, 2014

New Experience

I think my award is going to my head.  When I was thinking about what to write for this week, everything that I came up with didn't seem worthy of an award-winning blog.

Haha, just kidding.  I'm actually going to talk about what I wanted to talk about last week, which is my client Erin Peabody and her offer from Skyhorse for A WEIRD AND WILD BEAUTY: THE STORY OF YELLOWSTONE, THE WORLD'S FIRST NATIONAL PARK.  

Erin was excited about the offer, but after thinking it over, decided she wanted to try and go for a house with more of a history in children's non-fiction.  The editor at Skyhorse is still very interested in Erin's proposal, and since she is also Brianna's editor, when I was speaking with her about it, she offered to talk to Erin via phone.  They had a great conversation, and now while we are waiting to hear back from some other houses we had already sent to, Erin is researching and mulling over her options.

This is the first time that I've had that happen to me as an agent, and it's been a very unique experience so far, not only because it is something that I've never dealt with before, but also for what it made me realize. 

Sometimes my interests and my author's interests don't perfectly align.  At first, I was surprised and a little bit disappointed that Erin wasn't going to take the deal.  I already work with Julie, and I think she is great, and also, I have to admit, I was looking forward to adding another deal to my agenting street cred list.



In the end, though, I know that it is more important that my authors feel happy and confident in where they and their books are placed. Erin is making a very brave decision to make sure of that, and I'm happy that she and Julie are willing to engage in conversation in the meantime.  Whatever ends up happening, I am lucky just to represent such a great author and project, and I know that we will find it the perfect home no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. I think the word you were looking for, Carrie, is delusional, not "brave"! Thanks for all your support and patience--you are agent extraordinaire!!

    ReplyDelete