Monday, March 31, 2014

Lesson I've Learned

This past week, I sent out five submissions - whoa, right?  That kept me very busy!  I have my fingers crossed for those authors (three of whom are being sent out for the first time), but I also am much more relaxed about it than I've been in the past.

Submitting is still a lot of fun, but one thing I've learned is that it is very rare (for me, at least) to get an offer from someone in the first round of submission.  Maybe that is because I haven't agented long enough yet or am doing something wrong, but I have a feeling that it is just because finding the right editor is a lot like finding the right agent: it takes time and lots of revisions.



I can't even think about how many rounds of submissions my authors with deals went through...guys, feel free to chime in the comments section if you remember your number!  

This may sound disheartening, but it's just part of the process.  Publishing is (obviously) a business, but there are so many subjective parts to it that it's really more of a relationship in a lot of ways, and it can take time to find the right fit.  I used to be much more antsy about submissions and deals, and while I do get frustrated when it takes an extra-long time to hear back from people (cough, Brianna!), other than that, I've become much more laid back about the process.  Which I think might actually frustrate some of my authors.



Agent: "Don't worry about a thing.  Every thing gonna be all right."
Author: "ARGHHHH."

Besides still being scatterbrained/busy, which I think is just going to be a part of my life from now on from the looks of things, and sending out submissions, not much happened this past week.  I was working at the restaurant during the weekend, so I unfortunately missed two important things I wanted to attend, one of them being John's nephew's christening.  But I am taking a mini-break during the first week of April, so that will be great!

Oh, and I am VERY excited that Jessica is going to be going to BEA this year!  Dan and Susan might be going as well, and if that happens I might have to do some kind of Carrie's clients breakfast.  Or maybe make t-shirts!

Front

6 comments:

  1. With all these submissions, there are bound to be more deals soon!

    Ha, love the t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha great pics! I think I've had a weird reverse reaction to sub: after round 1 I was totally fine, and round 2 I was like whaaaaattttt noooo lol but now I'm a lot more relaxed. I can see how necessary each revision is, and I think (for me at least) the key is to embrace rewriting/changing/cutting certain scenes/characters/lines b/c in the end it's for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd buy that t-shirt!
    I think submissions are like coins into a fountain - flick 'em in, and go about your life... if something comes back, great! If not, find more change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a Geology professor I had in college was very fond of saying things like, "10,000 years is a blink of an eye in geologic time." It applies to publishing, as well! Dan is pretty much on target here. Get it out there and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a t-shirt! ;-) But I'll settle for a book deal if the t-shirt doesn't pan out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even begin to count the number of proposals and revisions. Some really helped my proposal grow the way it needed to, but most were thrown down the toilet eventually. Extrapolate out from a year and a half of submissions, and that's a lot of waiting. (It's mostly a waiting game.)

    ReplyDelete