Monday, February 17, 2014

Ask Carrie!

Slowly but surely working my way through all the manuscripts in my "To Read" folder.  

I've been finding such great stories in my submission inbox lately; Dean's and Jessica's books are publishing soon; and I'm also hopeful for a couple sales in the near future, so I'm feeling really good about all things agenty!

Which reminds me: I read Jeff's post about commenting on agents' blogs not too long ago, and it made me think about my blog.  I originally started it because I felt like people didn't really know what it was like to be a new agent.  Even I didn't at first.  Before I interned at Writers House, I kind of thought agents just read all day.  Which they do, but in addition to a hundred other things--and for me that includes answering phones at a restaurant, tutoring, and sometimes the odd babysitting job...not what you expected, right?

That's not me...yet ;)

But when reading Jeff's post, I noticed how he talked about types of agent blogs, and how some of them use their blogs to show people how to write great query letters or to teach them things about the market.  That sounds very magnanimous of them, and I wonder if I should try and steer my blog's focus more towards helping people, rather than just writing about my own life.  There are so many advice blogs, though.  What do you guys want to know about?  

Also, for anyone out there who is wondering, I do love seeing lots of comments on my blog, so always feel free to let me know your thoughts on whatever I'm writing about!  In fact, this week and forevermore, I'm turning the comments section into a Q&A forum.  Ask me any writing/publishing questions you have regardless of whether they are related to what my post is about, and I will answer them, and possibly draw inspiration for my next helpful blog post from them!

5 comments:

  1. Ask anything? Hmm, I'll have to think on that one...

    It's always tough to know what to do with things like blogs. I've always felt kind of funny about offering up anything close to actual writing advice, because I kind of feel like who am I to do that? What I've always liked about your blog, Carrie, is the mix of 'insider info' and 'this is my life' posts. One thing great about it is it's very humanizing. It's a nice blend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked the blend of your blog too. I will need to think of a publishing Q&A question. I think I've already asked you most of them, but I'm sure I'll have more sooner than later!

    I feel like you will have a nicer desk and chair when you are a big deal agent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of Billy Joel... "Don't go changin'..."

    ReplyDelete