Monday, January 20, 2014

Just Random Thoughts

When I went to the office in New Jersey this past week, Emily shared an email she received from an editor at HarperCollins.  She had asked the editor what was selling/trending, and the editor reported back that, right now, the YA market is "trendless," and that beyond fantastic writing and amazing voice, there is no "it" things for YA books to be about right now.  I also read an interesting article in PW about YA trends.


Having grown up on back-to-back-to-back YA trends (rich high school cliques, wizards, Greek mythology, vampires, dystopian) it's kind of weird to hear that there isn't a hot topic right now, though I'm not opposed to just having the trend be really great writing and stories.  Thinking about my own YA authors, I would have to say I am trendless as well.  The genres my clients write in range from contemporary to historical fiction to fantasy and everywhere else in between.  

In other news, I have something that I have been pondering...do *I* want to write a book?  The answer is already kind of no, because I have no time, but I remember researching and writing my senior English thesis in college and my professor urging me to continue my work once I graduated and try to get it published.  If I were to write a book, I feel sure that it would be in the non-fiction realm rather than fiction...I wouldn't have to worry about plot for one thing!  

Who knows...maybe in my spare time, I'll try to polish up my old English thesis.  Or I could just watch old movies with John all day, which is what I'm doing today.  Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. day!  


3 comments:

  1. I'm curious what your thesis is about. As for the YA trend, maybe one of your authors will be the one to start the next trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I could see that! And please do tell us about your thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I researched the "movement" of the Cinderella story throughout history and between civilizations (the first known Cinderella variant that I was able to find was recorded by a Greek traveler and is the recounting of an Egyptian story of a real slave woman whose shoe was found by a pharaoh). I also talked a little bit about how the culture of the time was imposed onto the story by its tellers (i.e. Charles Perrault focused heavily on the fairy godmother and emphasized the ideas of patronage that were so important to those living during the time of the imperial French court). I also wanted to get into the role of the translator and how certain people chose to interpret certain words also impacted the meaning of each story, but I kind of ran out of time.

    Sorry for nerding out, but I think it's a fascinating topic!

    ReplyDelete