Monday, September 30, 2013

New Adult

Back to my normal schedule this past week, which was a relief!  I got to send out Suzanne's manuscript and also Gabrielle's THE HOUSE BEHIND.  Gabby and I have been working on revisions for this book with an editor at Bloomsbury, so although we are sending it out into the wide world, I have my fingers crossed that it will find a home at Bloomsbury in the end.

Also, I think in response to something I posted on my Google+ page, I've been getting a lot of New Adult submissions lately.  Several of them have been very intriguing and almost right, and as I was looking through them, I realized that the reason that certain New Adult-y elements are probably missing from these stories is that the authors aren't 100% sure what New Adult is.

When it first became an actual genre, I was very confused by it.  You would think New Adult would just be an extension of YA for slightly older readers, and though it does take on very mid-twenties' topics like figuring out one's career and being in college, what New Adult really seems to be is romance for a younger audience.  

   

I initially was hoping that New Adult was going to be older YA, because I am not a big romance person, but now I am seeing a lot of great potential for books that are blends of these two things.  For instance, here are some recent Publishers Marketplace deal memos for New Adult books that I've found exciting:

Lorin Oberweger and Veronica Rossi writing as Noelle August's BOOMERANG, pitched as THE HANGOVER meets THE INTERNSHIP, set in an online dating service that aims to be Match.com for millennials on the rebound, to Tessa Woodward at William Morrow, in a good deal, in a three-book deal, in a pre-empt, for publication in 2014, by Tracey Adamsand Josh Adams at Adams Literary on behalf of Wildcard Storymakers (World English).

USA Today bestselling author Renee Carlino's self-published SWEET THING, in which a recent graduate moves to New York's Lower East Side to take over her late father's coffee shop and unexpectedly falls for a charming musician on the edge of stardom, to Jhanteigh Kupihea atAtria, in a good deal for three books, for digital publication August 20, 2013 followed by print in January 2014, by Christina Hogrebe at Jane Rotrosen Agency (World).

Brenda St. John Brown's SWIMMING TO TOKYO, a New Adult Contemporary set in the the tangled streets of Tokyo, in which a girl and a guy find each other and learn that love, letting go, and language lessons make for an unforgettable summer, to Patricia Riley at Spencer Hill Contemporary, in a nice deal, for publication in November 2014, byMarlene Stringer at Stringer Literary Agency (World).

USA Today bestselling contemporary romance author Ruthie Knox writing as Robin York's debut DEEPER, featuring a college sophomore whose world is torn apart when an ex-boyfriend posts embarrassing and intimate photos of her on-line; her developing relationship with the campus bad boy ends up being the only that will get her through and allow her to face an uncertain future, to Shauna Summers of Ballantine Bantam Dell, in a two-book deal, by Emily Sylvan Kim at the Prospect Agency (World).  **Yay for Prospect!!**

Author of the Throne of Glass series, Sarah Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses trilogy, a fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast, starting with MORTAL, for publication in winter 2015, to Michelle Nagler atBloomsbury Children's, by Tamar Rydzinski at Laura Dail Literary Agency(world).

Marvel author and graphic artist Ange Guera's BLOOD CURSE, pitched as Marie-Antoinette meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to Maria Gomez at Amazon Crossing, for publication in 2014, by Christine Witthohn at Book Cents Literary Agency and Marlene Stringer atStringer Literary Agency on behalf of Bragelonne (World English).

C.L. Gaber and V.C. Stanley's JEX MALONE, Jex and three teenage friends snoop through her detective father's cold case files to investigate the disappearance of a young girl who vanished two decades prior, to Jacquelyn Mitchard at Merit Press, in a nice deal, for publication in Fall 2014, by Jill Kramer at Waterside Productions (NA)

7 comments:

  1. Is New Adult a genre, or a category? I had thought of it more as an age category, such that you could have New Adult Romance, or New Adult Sci-Fi or New Adult dystopia. Maybe I'm still confused about what constitutes genre.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting! You think it would be more of a category where you could have New Adult fantasy and so on, but from what I've been seeing in deal postings, it is more of a genre. I found an interesting article about it: http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2013/07/09/ala-2013-new-adult-fiction-what-is-it-and-is-it-really-happening/

      Delete
    2. Good article, thanks for the link.

      It just makes much more sense to me as a category. I guess part of the problem is if the submissions from NA authors are overwhelmingly skewed toward romance, let's say, it becomes easy for everyone to assume NA=Romance. Nothing wrong with romance at all, but then it becomes kind of confining.

      I've been on the fence about whether we 'need' it as a category or not. An 18-25-y/o MC isn't going to scare me away from reading a book, but in all honesty I'd likely pass right by (or give the barest of glances to) a 'New Adult' section in a bookstore. If the same books were shelved in the adult section, I much more likely to pick up an interesting looking title and investigate further, regardless of the age of the protagonist.

      Delete
    3. I always thought it was a category as well, and I think I'd react pretty much the same way Jeff would to a New Adult section in a bookstore. I would be much more interested if it was a category, and not a kind of sub-genre of romance. I like a good romantic story, but prefer it as part of a larger plot. I wouldn't pick up the two books shown in the picture above, just based on the cover. A lot of the deals listed sound really interesting though, especially BLOOD CURSE. I can't wait to read that!

      Delete
    4. I thought of you when I saw that one. And yes, I do think it would be great as a category and it will be cool to see what happens to it as it evolves, but all I've really been seeing so far is the junior romance I was talking about. It grows on you the more you see of it, though.

      Also, lol, I meant those book covers to be Adult Romance = Junior Romance, but when you look at the adult cover, you'll notice that it is actually probably some really hilarious couple's Save the Date invite. Thanks, Google image search.

      Delete
    5. Omg, I can't believe I didn't notice the one image was a hilarious couple's Save the Date invite. I really wish I was invited. I bet there would be some good stories to come out of their wedding.

      Delete
  2. these sound awesome! I think NA will always confuse me but it's definitely coming into its own. I want to read Sweet Thing! I'm cracking up at the Save the Date thing, I didn't even realize that. Also, the town they had their wedding in (Old Westbury) is very near me haha

    ReplyDelete