Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Being a White-Haired Juggler

Lately, I feel like I've been juggling a million things.  My mom commented that I sounded a little scatterbrained on the phone last night and, honestly, I am.  

I have "remember to do this" lists for my various "to do" lists, which encompass everything from emailing an editor with a follow up note if I don't hear back from them by the end of next Thursday, to trying to figure out if I really need to buy a flash drive and how many GBs I should get (I have no idea).



Luckily, I had a day this week with nothing scheduled, so I spent the morning going through some manuscript revisions for one author, and doing some comparative titles research for another.

They are both clients that I have been working with for a while, and they both are having some difficulty getting their manuscripts off the ground and finding editors.  Each author has fantastic ideas, platforms, and writing skills - now it's just about figuring out the little things to fully polish their manuscripts and attract the eye of an editor.

I don't mind though - nothing is perfect to start with and part of me enjoys bending my brain every which way in order to help them find the best format or plot arc to make their books just right.  This is probably an extension of my school-day enjoyment in doing the legwork for research papers (...I know).


Had an awesome lunch with an editor from HarperCollins this week and she gave me some great books to read.  She is currently considering a middle grade submission from one of my authors and I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it - I'm supposed to hear from her next week!

Once I hear from her and wrap up everything else on my to do lists (and Restaurant Week ::cough-MONTH:: is finally over) guess what I'm going to do!  GO ON VACATION!


Granted it's a fake vacation - I'm going to go home for a week around Valentine's Day and spend time with John and my parents - but still.  I am very excited about it.

P.S.  I HAVE A WHITE HAIR!!! AHHHHH! I knew turning 26 was going to be a disaster.  This vacation obviously needs to happen ASAP.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you don't give in to temptation and peak into your inbox, it's a vacation. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete