Monday, December 17, 2012

Newtown, CT

I spent most of the weekend, not wrapping presents and reading manuscripts like I thought I would, but glued to my laptop, watching ABC news and reading updates about the school shooting in Newtown, CT, while wiping tears from my eyes.


An image of children leaving the school from The Newtown Bee.

This is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever heard about.  John called me on Friday morning and told me what had happened and all I could think about for a minute was "Thank God it wasn't at my mother's school."  My mother is a first grade teacher in Middletown, CT and thinking about her and her students in danger gave me a fractional amount of insight into how the parents with children at Sandy Hook Elementary must have felt when they heard what had happened.

My heart goes out to all those parents and children, and I know when I go home for Christmas I will do what President Obama mentioned in his address and hug my mom that much tighter when I see her, as well as the rest of my family and loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. What a horrible, horrible thing this is. I can't even begin to comprehend how the family members of the slain can get through this. And then there are the survivors, who often have to live with nightmares and guilt. Terrible, absolutely terrible.

    ReplyDelete