Monday, March 27, 2017

Hamster Wheel

While I was taking my break from blogging last week, I ended up having a chat with some fellow agent friends about the dark side of agenting and it is this: you can always, always be working and there is also always someone who is doing better than you are.  

Most of times, this is actually simulating for me and pushes me to do better, but every once in awhile it feels a bit too much like being on a hamster wheel.



When that happens, I've learned the best thing to do is just hit the brakes and step off the machine.  Well, to be honest, when that happens, I usually have a mini-meltdown and then watch cartoons and eat ice cream until I feel better, but still! 

In the past, I've compared it to giving a mouse a cookie: you always want more than what you have.  Not getting a deal or losing out on a particular author can pack a punch, especially if they happen in a row.  One of the things I was stressing about was a lack of deals to break the 2017 seal, but then luckily I landed an audio deal for Lauren Smith and a new book deal for Dean Haycock, so that got me on track to feeling better.

Breyer's Blasts Reese's Chocolate ice cream set me down that path, too...mmm!



4 comments:

  1. First rule of the literary life: Ice cream will always make it better!
    Second rule: If not, add cake and a good novel...
    Third rule: If not, see first rule and repeat as necessary:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and Lauren and Dean! And it's early, you'll still rack up plenty of deals, I know it!

    That ice cream looks delicious...I'm on a salted caramel kick, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #HowAgentsAreJustLikeWriters

    (I don't know if that's a legitimate hashtag or not, but it seems to work, right?)

    That ice cream looks goooooood!

    ReplyDelete