All the Feelings

Monday, July 11, 2016

This has been a very emotional week. 

On the one hand, I signed a really exciting new client, whose books I adore; got to watch the Fourth of July fireworks at a barbecue overlooking the Sound with my best friend; and had a Sunday brunch and shopping day with my mom.  All those things = best week ever!



But on the other hand, I've been watching the videos and news about Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, and it has left me with a sick, sad feeling in the pit of my stomach.  All of the police violence this year that has been brought to light in the media is horrifying, and reading about and watching Castile and Sterling die the way they did made my great week suddenly seem deeply unfair.

I'm never good at knowing what to do or say in the face of tragedy, but luckily, my author Susan tweeted a great link to a Ravishly article about what you can do to help end police brutality, and my friend Priscilla texted me a link to a White House petition for a federal agency to supervise the behavior of all law enforcement agencies.  

So, I'm asking everyone who reads this to sign the petition and read the article and tell your friends to do the same!  And I hope it makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs