Vacation Dilemma

Monday, May 18, 2015

I frequently talk about how busy I am, but this is the first time in a long time that I feel like I may be working a bit too hard.  I've been doing my best to read things quickly, have found several fantastic new authors (yay!), been sending out submissions like a mad man, and also have been crazy trying to help Emily plan for RWA and to get myself ready for BEA.  

To top that all off, my dad has been in and out of hospitals lately.  He is fine, but drained, as am I (and my mom!).  

I am generally a pretty energetic person, but this past week I've been a little tapped out, which is why I think I maybe need to cool down.  My response the past few days when people ask me how I am has consistently been "stressed" or "tired," and I've been thinking about what I want to do to fix that.  The thought that kept popping in my head is maybe I should take a week off.

That would put a real wrench in the gears of my agenting machine, though, and I don't know if that's something I want to risk.  I made a little spreadsheet the other day, and not counting the IP projects my authors sampled for, I have six different projects with extreme editorial interest/possible offers sitting on fences right now.  I don't think I've ever had this many projects with interest at once, which is awesome!!

I was planning on taking vacation in August, which is when John's mom has rented a cottage on the shore, but maybe I should just take my vacation now and spend it at home with the 'rents.  Orrrr...be totally crazy and take two week-long vacations???

If I'm honest with myself, though, I know that this is all a wasted inner debate, because, at most, I will possibly give myself a week off from reading and sending out new projects, but nothing else.  There is just too much to do!

Red Bull it is, then...

6 comments:

  1. Melissa AlexanderMay 18, 2015 at 3:32 PM

    Take the time off. I get that more work comes in. I get that work doesn't stop while you are gone. I get that people are waiting on you. But there will NEVER be a time when all that isn't true. You cannot consistently give the best of yourself if you have drained yourself to a husk. Take off the time you need. Set expectations with those people around you that you will be gone, and life will resume in a week. They will survive.

    (And I'm not just saying that because I'm a week behind getting you those 100 pages and completely stressed out and wishing I could take a week off.)

    Seriously. Go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize your father was ill again; I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he makes a speedy recovery and takes that particular stressor out of your life. Relax, take the time, everything will be here when you come back (and maybe some extras, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, take some time to recharge, in whatever form that makes sense for you right now. Hang in there - we appreciate all you do! I'm sorry to hear your dad continues to deal with health issues.

    And yeah, I owe you a revision too... Back to work-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes taking a four day weekend is an elixir and rejuvenates your body, mind, and soul. So if I were you, I'd planned two four day weekends and chill. Only work if you think it is a matter of life and death. Many of the reasons we used for not taking vacation are because we are afraid of letting go.
    Seriously consider taking the time off because you need it.
    Shalom,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes—that sounds like a lot going on. It can be really hard to find the time to take off, but I always feel so much more recharged when I take even just a day off work to do nothing but read (for purely enjoyment's sake) or watch TV/movie/etc. Especially when a family members in and out of the hospital. That can be so stressful and draining. I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with everyone. I am at the beach recharging. Take care of yourself so you can take care of your dad (and mom.)

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs