Monday, July 14, 2014

BUSTED!

It looks as though the curse of the summer submission has been broken!  I was beyond thrilled to receive an offer for the first two books in JB Turner's Deborah Jones series from one publisher, and also to hear of strong interest in Nicole Trilivas's GIRLS WHO TRAVEL from another publisher in the same day! 

The guy on the left is JB and the guy on the right is Nicole in this scenario.

I guess it just goes to show that I don't know everything after all :)

I am very happy that this happened for obvious reasons, but also because it's making me feel like I'm really getting into my groove as an agent.  When you're starting off, it's easy to compare yourself to other, more successful agents and also panic about creating your reputation/legacy NOW by selling ten multi-million dollar books in the row.  Granted, I don't think a multi-million dollar deal is coming my way anytime soon, but I am starting to feel as though I'm definitely good at what I do.  There's not a problem with summer, there's not a problem with the way I'm submitting, I got this.  You know.  I have a flow going.  

When I first started agenting, I just wanted really good clients.  Then once I got those really good clients, I wanted to sell a book.  Then I wanted to sell a book to a great publisher.  Then I wanted those books to get awesome reviews.  Now I want to have deals with Big Six/Five publishers.  I am the mouse who wants a cookie, a glass of milk, a set of Crate & Barrel flatware, and a penthouse apartment to eat it in.


So hooray for JB and fingers crossed for Nicole!   JB and I are going to be discussing the deal and deciding what we want to do, since it's with a new digital publisher, and hopefully I'll be hearing from the editor interested in Nicole soon.  I'll let you know more details once I have them, and in the meantime, I am going to pack my tag sale plates and move them into my studio apartment.  Not quite Crate & Barrel in a penthouse yet, but I'm working on it.  Have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. You know we're all working to get you that penthouse. Big time congrats to JB and you, always nice to see new deals announced. We'll hope to see one for Nicole soon, and welcome to Amy--what a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Once I read your comment, I realized that I might have just jinxed myself. I offered representation to Amy but we haven't officially agreed to work together yet. I guess that's not really a Freudian slip, but that's what I'm going to call it!

      Delete