There's More to a Book Than Its Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Getting the book written and edited is only the start.  This past week, I had a lot of Book 2.0 stuff on my plate: reaching out to potential blurbers for Dan and looking at cover art for Susan. 

I had done this sort of stuff when I was at Writers House, but I kind of forgot it existed.  When you get caught up with licensing the manuscript and negotiating the contact, etc., the extras can move out of your line of sight.  So when Emlyn, Dan's editor, asked me if I could think of any authors to blurb the book, it was kind of like being asked to translate something in Latin (which I took in high school but have completely forgotten).  Luckily, my wonderful editor friends, Sarah Murphy and Wes Miller helped me come up with a list of authors who would be good blurbers for Dan and who they thought would be willing to help out.  I contacted them and, so far, have a couple on board!

And when Stephanie sent over Susan's cover a few days ago, I talked to Susan about her thoughts, polled my fellow Prospectors, and then helped her develop a list of tweaks that she wanted to see done by the designer.  That was a lot of fun, but also made me feel like a fish out of water, because when it comes to artistic creativity it's hard for me to visualize anything other than what I am presented with.  I think Susan's cover is going to be fantastic, though, and am looking forward to seeing what it looks like with her suggested changes implemented.

So basically, last week was a very agent-y week (I also sent out three of my authors' new projects, and am filled with high hopes that the editors reading them will fall in love with them), but I have a feeling that this week is not going to involve a lot of book stuff at all.  

Apartment stuff is still a huge chunk of my life at the moment.  My parents are coming over this Wednesday to help me re-paint the apartment, clean, and putty up all the drilled holes, because they are the best parents ever.  There is a little French bakery in Jackson Heights that they love, so I think I am going to say thank you with Napoleons and Gateau Breton.



Restaurant Week is coming up, as well,  so I will also be busy answering the phones and trying not to lose my temper--because I am a firm believer that there is such a thing as a stupid question, and if I tell you there is only availability after 2:00pm, do not ask me if 1:30pm reservation will work and expect me to say no nicely.   That's a total lie: Of course, I will respond very politely because having a regular paycheck is nice.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting week! Can't wait to see the cover, and I'm glad the blurbs are on their way.

    Mmm...Gateau Breton. Your blog often makes me hungry haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks quite tasty....

    And I have to admit, I had to look up 'pulchritudinous' in the dictionary. It doesn't sound at all like what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jeff... but I plan on using that word twice tomorrow in meetings!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs