Who Doesn't Love a Good Memoir?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The editors at Sourcebooks (especially Stephanie Bowen) definitely do! 

I am more than excited about the deal my author Susan Blumberg-Kason has with them for her memoir, GOOD CHINESE WIFE.  It tells the story of her five-year marriage to Li, a man from central China, in the '90s, when China was still very much closed off from the rest of the world. Anxious to "adapt" to Chinese culture, Susan gets into the habit of deferring important decisions to Li and putting up with his abusive behavior in order to be a good Chinese wife. That is, until their son, Jake, is born. That is when she gathers the courage to plan a secret escape with Jake to the safety of her parents’ house in Chicago.


Susan - Wedding
Susan at her wedding.

I was captivated by the story from the start, and I've been working with Susan for about a year on revising the manuscript.  She is such an amazing person to work with because she has been undauntingly (is that a word?) cheerful about making changes to her work and about the whole submission process in general.


I'm also pretty psyched because this deal was my first pre-empt!  I saw a description of a pre-empt (on AbsoluteWrite.com) which is pretty accurate.  A pre-empt is kind of like the "Buy It Now" button on eBay auctions.  Yay for "Buy It Now"!!  See the deal on Publishers Marketplace and check out my +1 More Thing post on Google+ today.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and Susan! Sounds like a harrowing story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for Susan (and for you - congrats!). We share a love for China (especially Hong Kong) and I'm so excited to read her memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, I can't wait to read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy this will be out in the world soon--but not soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read it! :) - Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. so awesome! Huge congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Carrie, for this amazing blog post! I have enjoyed every minute I've worked with you and couldn't have gotten this deal without all your hard work and determination. And thanks to my friends who commented here. You guys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to both of you, and to Sourcebooks! Can't wait to read this, and I'm guessing tons of others feel the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Susan! It takes a special kind of determination to put your own story onto "paper". I can't wait to read the memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a few days late to the party - Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan BK - who is certainly the definition of "cheerful" - deserves all the success she has coming to her. I can't think of a more well-read and literary person, and am looking forward to her new book. Nor can I think of any bigger honor for an author (and her nimble agent) than selling in a pre-empt. Cheers all around!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs