HOME SWEET HOME

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I've been a little grouchy lately, because Andrey has been selfish enough to accept an offer to go to grad school in London, rather than stay in New York with me and my other roommates.  It's part jealousy (I LOVE England!) and part angst over the thought of having to move.  One of my favorite things to do is walk all over New York and explore, so you might think I would relish the chance to shake things up and move to another area of the city.  But the truth is that even though I like to explore, I also like to come back to a comfy home base.  Thankfully, my other roommates and I had a powwow a few nights ago and we have decided to stay!  I think that Fred is really excited about this, because it means that he can move into Andrey's old room and not have to live in the living room anymore.




I love my neighborhood.  There are pretty buildings and trees (as long as you don't go one avenue over, because then it turns into this weird, tranny hooker hangout - which can be something to love, as well).  It's also insanely convenient; there are two grocery stores (one is 24 hours!), a laundromat, a cleaner's, lots of delis and restaurants, hair salons, Duane Reades and Rite Aids, and banks.  And now that it's spring, I'm starting to love it more and more.


The weather has been so nice lately, and I've been making up random excuses to take mini-breaks from reading and go outside.  The other day,  I walked two blocks to Duane Reade so I could buy a power strip.  And a mini hairbrush.   I do need both of those things.


Funnily enough, one of my friends lives just a block away.  We interned at Writers House together before I got a job there and now she is an Assistant Editor at Thomas Dunne (St. Martins).  We were catching up at lunch when we realized that we live less than two minutes from each other!  She is my "strange coincidence" friend.  When I was at a Little, Brown party in February, I met an editor named Wes Miller and I had no idea why his name sounded so familiar.  I ended up blurting out, "Oh my god, you're Kat's boyfriend, aren't you!" and then quickly had to explain why I knew that in a non-stalker way.  Thankfully, he was very understanding.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs