Backspace

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Backspace conference this past Thursday-Friday was excellent!  My favorite part was the query letter small group that I was part of with Gina Panettieri of Talcott Notch.  I end up seeing her at every conference I go to and she is so friendly and offers very insightful feedback, so it was a lot of fun to head up the session with her. 


For our panel, we read the query letters of everyone in our group and then discussed their strong and weak points.  I was very excited that the pitches for everyone in my group were non-fiction, since I am trying to build my non-fiction list right now, and they were all good.  I ended up requesting to see a bunch of them and giving the writers my card.  I really hope that I get to hear from all of them.  Every once in a while people, for whatever reason, don’t end up giving me a chance to read their work even after I request to see it, which can be a bummer.

I know this is probably not what you think of when you think of an agent-writer exchange, but it happens.  I’ve met people who have really great manuscripts and I get all revved up to read them, and they never come.  Then a few weeks down the road, their manuscript will suddenly pop into my mind and I want to snap my fingers and go, “Darn it!  What happened to that?”

The proposal at Backspace that probably captured my attention the most was for a memoir entitled RUNNING WITH ROMNEY.  It was by a special agent who was part of the Romney security detail during his campaign in ’06.  I loved his proposal and was enthusiastic about it during our query session.  I hope he sends it to me; I’m going to snap very hard if he doesn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs