Creepy Crawlies

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I have just finished reading a new manuscript from one of my authors, titled THE CLEARING.  It is dark outside and I have tingles running up and down my spine, and even though I am a twenty-five-year-old (supposed) adult, I am definitely going to make one of my roommates go with me to the kitchen so I can get a glass of water.

The book is about a man who goes back to St. Lucia to unravel the events of his past.  As the son of a Canadian diplomat, Nate Mason’s family was part of an elite social circle, which included the island’s “royal family,” the De Villiers, who lived in a mansion deep in the jungle.  The book circles around the events that happened one night when Nate slept over the De Villiers, which resulted in the death of a boy and a secret pact that leads to the downfall of Nate’s own family.  It is full of intrigue, island magic, and a Caribbean legendary demon called a bolom—a dangerous creature charged with guarding the owners of plantations.

 A very non-scary picture of St. Lucia.

Dan’s first novel, THE JOURNALIST, is out on submission right now.  It is an incredible psychological thriller/mystery about what a desperate graduate student does to get into the world of journalism and become a rising star.  I showed it to an editor at Berkley Prime Crime, who said that she absolutely loved the story and the writing, but because it didn’t fit definitively into the “mystery” genre, that she wasn’t going to be able to buy it.

The funny thing is that I find myself drawn to books that can’t be clearly categorized.  I think that is part of what makes them good.  I feel optimistic that I will be able to find an editor for THE JOURNALIST and THE CLEARING who thinks so, too!  That is, I feel optimistic that I will be able to find an editor for THE JOURNALIST and THE CLEARING who thinks so, too in the morning, when the sun is out, and I am not thoroughly creeped out by thoughts of boloms and scary jungles filled with glowing eyes. 

Until then I am going to find Andrey, because I am getting really thirsty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs